Hi I’m Federica.
I am a biodynamic craniosacral therapist practising in Bristol, UK.
I have a particular interest in working with trauma and the impact of early (prenatal and birth) experiences in our adult life.
I qualified from the Karuna Institute with Franklyn Sills, the founder of craniosacral biodynamics. I am registered with the Craniosacral Therapy Association (CSTA) and I continue deepening my practice by regularly attending postgraduate courses, working with a supervisor and having my own therapy sessions. I am also an assistant on postgraduate trainings at the Karuna Institute.
Over the last ten years, both through diving deep into my own early process and attending a number of trainings with experts in the field I have been focusing on working with prenatal and birth experiences and early relational trauma with adults and babies.
The depth of enquiry I bring to my work with clients is also influenced by my personal ongoing experience of Core Process Psychotherapy, the Core Process Psychotherapy Foundation Certificate and the Diploma in Relational Mindfulness.
Perhaps the most important thing we bring to another person is the silence in us, not the sort of silence that is filled with unspoken criticism or hard withdrawal. The sort of silence that is a place of refuge, of rest, of acceptance of someone as they are. We are all hungry for this other silence. It is hard to find. In its presence we can remember something beyond the moment, a strength on which to build a life.
– Rachel Naomi Remen
My Craniosacral Journey
I am originally from Italy but have lived in Bristol since 1998. After completing a PhD in Mathematics Education, I worked at the University of Bristol for ten years as Lecturer in Education. My experience in such a demanding and fast-paced academic environment made me recognise the importance of finding ways to support our bodies when leading stressful lives and eventually led me to craniosacral therapy.
So my craniosacral journey began as a client. A combination of suffering from frequent and strong migraines, feeling stuck and yearning for something ‘more’ in my life besides my academic achievements, led me to go and see a craniosacral therapist (before I knew anything about what craniosacral therapy was!). The craniosacral work had a profound effect on me both on a physical and emotional level. It opened my awareness towards my body, showing me how to listen to it in a way I didn’t know it was possible.
While having craniosacral sessions (and subsequently core process psychotherapy), I became particularly interested in exploring more in depth the way in which my prenatal and birth history had shaped my life (and was at the root of my migraines!). After being so inspired by the profound healing that happened for me through all this work, I decided I wanted to know more about it and went on to train to become a craniosacral therapist, beginning what proved to be a life changing journey into deeper presence and awareness.
I have now left my academic career and very much enjoy a full time biodynamic craniosacral therapy practice, where I am touched every day by the courage of people showing up to themselves and their vulnerability, and reconnecting with their health and aliveness. More recently I have also been an assistant on postgraduate trainings at the Karuna Institute and I love witnessing the deep learning and transformation that can take place within a safe holding field.
- The Prenatal Person (Franklyn Sills & Cherionna Menzam-Sills, 2016-18)
- Diploma in Relational Mindfulness (Maura Sills, 2015)
- Diploma in Craniosacral Biodynamics (Franklyn Sills, Karuna Institute, 2010-12)
- Core Process Psychotherapy Foundation Certificate (Karuna Institute, 2010)
Main Postgraduate Courses
- Inner Child Journeys (Robin Grille)
- Womb Surround Workshop (Ray Castellino)
- The Teachings of Ray Castellino: Dropping into Pre and Perinatal Memories with Ease (Ray Castellino)
- Verbal Trauma Skills for Craniosacral Therapists (Cherionna Menzam-Sills – assistant)
- Awakening the Heart (Franklyn Sills and Cherionna Menzam-Sills – assistant)
- Deepening into Biodynamics (Franklyn Sills and Cherionna Menzam-Sills – assistant)
- Resolving Early Developmental Trauma with Spiritual and Psychological Approaches (William Emerson)
- Embodiment and Embryology (Karuna Institute)
- From Source to Incarnation, the Preconception-Conception Journey (William Emerson)
- The Embodiment Journey – Sperm Journey and Egg Journey (Institute for Pre and Perinatal Education)
- Children & Babies in Craniosacral Practice (Claire Dolby & Satya Shepherd)
- Birth Process workshops (Claire Dolby)
- Hands on Stress (Katherine Ukleja)